Friday, October 23, 2015

Halloween Fright--By Robert Hewett Sr.--United States

Halloween Fright

Dressed as Superman, ready to fly,
I Told my mom “just standby”.
Went up the steps all alone,
Rang the doorbell heard a moan.
A cackling sound to my right,
Witch on a broom in my sight.
Cape flowing and hand of claws
Reaching for me trailing gauze.
I cannot move, frozen stiff
Eyes wide, my heart makes a skip.
Off to my left snarling growls,
fury monsters on the prowl.
My feet came free with a howl,
My bellows roared with my scowl.
Down the steps, a blur in sight,
Passed my mom, a streak of light.
Home is where I want to be.
Halloween is not for me.

Robert Hewett Sr. was born in 1933 on a Texas cotton farm. He moved to Oklahoma City at Age 14 and entered the U. S Army from there in 1953. Robert has been writing poetry and short stories for his family and himself since his teen years, but is just now publishing his collection of works. His hobbies include writing poetry and stories; clock and watch collections; gardening and growing flowers and shrubs from cuttings. Most of his poetry tells a story, a gift from his father who was a master story teller. He has received numerous awards for his work in his professional life and for his writing. You can find some of his writings at "roberthewettsr.hubpages.com"

5 comments:

  1. Fun. A nice "treat." Thanks for sharing, Robert. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rev MJ, hope you get lots of healthy treats tonight (for your grandkids. (g)

      Delete
  2. I loved this, Halloween is m favorite time of the year! I thought you portrayed this time with glorious fun. I really enjoyed reading this awesome poem this morning. What a magnificent piece. Great work,

    Russell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Russell I am very pleased you liked my poem

      Delete
  3. Such a delightful poem for Halloween, a pleasure to read, thank you for the smiles Robert, Take care always, Lee

    ReplyDelete