Friday, June 17, 2016

Petunias in the Tractor Tire--By Michael Escoubas--United States

Petunias in the Tractor Tire

Here we are my grandson, age four, and me.
In old shoes and torn jeans, we use child-sized
scoops and rakes as we ready the soft earth.

We’re planting rainbows of petunias.
The boy’s hair splashes sunlight gold; his hands
love the dirt as they scoop holes for starts.

I’m clumsy in the art of planting flowers
but the boy thinks I know everything. He
works close to me, my garden prodigy.

Looking back, I recall something I lacked:
I would have traded my Babe Ruth rookie
baseball card for a grandpa with bent back

and torn jeans who planted petunias
with patient hands, and endless time for me.

Previously published in Light Comes Softly

After retiring from a 48-year career in the printing industry in 2013, Michael Escoubas began writing poetry for publication. His study of and interest in poetry goes back some 30 years. During this time he studied classical and modern poets learning from their works and from critics who comment about them. Michael writes poetry in part because his mother once said, “You have a gift for words; you should do something with that gift.” 

7 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your imagery immensely. Poignant finish, leaving me pondering my childhood priorities. Good tone. Enjoyed the alteration with the planted petunias with patient.....loads to enjoy really! Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,
    This shows you have a "green thumb", at least where petunias are concerned. Good poem!
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your piece, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed reading your poem again today, Michael.
    Such fine imagery. How good to see your voice in Whispers again and especially with Father's Day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So appreciate everyone's gracious comments--
    I never knew my grandfather's on either side.
    In retrospect perhaps that is the genesis of the poem.
    Wonderful taking part in the Whispers family of poets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Michael. I enjoyed this. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This moved me to tears Michael. It brought back memories of my grandfather who loved to keep a garden. He grew mostly food. I remember him hosing down my baby brother who had mud from head to toe dressed only in his diaper. It was hot and summer. I love the emotion I felt when reading this beautiful piece. I have a 4 yr. old Granddaughter who thinks I am her personal playmate! I love it! Cheers, Connie

    ReplyDelete