Monday, March 28, 2016

A puppet show--By Sunil Sharma--India

A puppet show

On a summer evening
A puppet show, corner of
A large compound emptied of cars/bikes
On that hour, for that special show,
Demonstrates the power of narrative
And of the painted faces, silken clothes, huge
Khol eyes.
How wood undergoes a change
And characters come alive!
How deft fingers and voices manipulate the medium and audience.
It reminds me of a happy childhood in a small town, decades ago.
Now, the puppet show is extinct like the Dodo
As there is no childhood or open space in a high-rise!

Sunil Sharma is a writer based in Mumbai, India. A college principal, he has published four books of poetry, two books of shorts and a novel in English, apart from co-editing six literary anthologies.  He edits Episteme: http://www.episteme.net.in/   

2 comments:

  1. Sunil, I can remember the joys of making my own puppets and theater to give little "puppet shows" when I was a girl. With "progress" special entertainment for self and others alike has become a rarity. It has not however taken away my love for the puppeteering craft that makes me want to craft my own once again, even at my older age. Thanks for the memories and your wonderful talent.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is expressive, lovely and yet it's tinged with sadness for what once was and is no more! Enjoyed this poem, Sunil. Regards ~ paul

    ReplyDelete