Friday, March 4, 2016

Yellow Rose of Aberdeen--By Isha Wagner--New Zealand

Yellow Rose of Aberdeen
(Journey through Scotland)

Wrapped in my parka with long scarlet scarf
I trudged through the street of bright white snow
To the hostel where the beds so cheap
While swiftly fluttered the radiant show

And the kirk on the hill shining in stone
Rang out the bells to those of some belief
When my eyes were caught by a yellow rose
Standing tall and naked with but one leaf

Loud beat my heart as I gazed at this prize
Elegantly poised in the old churchyard
Petals gleaming, glowing and quite alone
The Creator must have slipped his guard

In this freezing place not a flower did thrive
But this splendid one as if joyfully to say
Take not the rules for granted, look at me
I flourish heedless of others' ways

Love shone from within that yellow rose

Isha Wagner is a New Zealand poet. She has resided in many countries including Iceland, Libya, India, and Australia.  She read some of her work at the VIII International Poetry Festival held in Granada, Nicaragua, in February 2012. She has had three collections of poetry published. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isha,
    This poem is beautiful and creative. Well said!
    Your new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something of 'Wordsworth' in your lines. The poem and my discovery of it is a lovely experience. Thank you for sharing, Ralph.

    ReplyDelete