Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Best Friends--By Tom Davis--United States

Best Friends

A fat summer moon
painted the ribbon of asphalt
with a liquid silver.

The tantalizing scent
of green peanuts, cotton dust,
and honeysuckle
drifted across the highway.

An early dew beaded our eyebrows.
As we peddled our bicycles into the night,
the broken white center line clicked by.

We were young then
and tasted the sweet freedom of youth.
Sure that the world was ours;
ours for the taking.

A blood oath we took.
Friends forever.
I and my best friend, Johnny.

Too soon,
taken away from me
by a sick heart.

In his younger years, Tom Davis served as a Special Force Combat Diver. It seems to him that he spent more time on, in, and under the water than as a landlubber. This and other adventures he has written about in his memoir, The Most Fun I Ever Had With My Clothes On: A March From Private to Colonel. http://www.oldmp.com/davismemoirs

4 comments:

  1. Tom I enjoy a trip down memory lane with you. Thank you for sharing your talent with us here on Whispers.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,
    Ah, those childhood memories... I never took a blood oath with anyone, but had a group of really good friends back in the day.
    Your new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete