Thursday, March 3, 2016

Freedom--By Richard Sponaugle--United States

Freedom

Walls and roofs are my jail.
The outdoors is my bail.
Endless human sounds reverberate
off stacked bricks, and give me headaches.
But the soaring robins chirp in Spring,
making boundless horizons sing.
I long to lie in fields of green,
and inhale mountain air so clean.
I look out an office window,
and see Summer grass start to grow.
I sneak out and touch the morning dew,
while marveling at the sunrise too.
Big buildings are man’s creation,
but rainstorms give me elation
Because even walking on wet sod,
reminds me of the power of God.

Richard Sponaugle was born 4-20-60 in Maryland and raised in Northern Virginia.  He received a BA from George Mason University.  A prolific poet and songwriter, he has been published in many venues.  

5 comments:

  1. I work in the city. I live in the country. I am glad it is not the other way around... Loved your poem. Clever, entertaining, and in the process, substantive points clearly made... Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick,
    This poem is proof God is everywhere, in everything. I like the message and choice of rhyming words.
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful poem Richard...God's signature is there for the world to behold. He has not made Himself obscure. Enjoyed your poem. Good wishes, Chris~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem is spot on, Rick. Thank you for sharing this wondrous world we live in via your words. Such gratitude you engender with your poem. Loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Everyone,

    Thank you for these wonderful comments for Rick. I will send them to him. Rick, this is a creative and wonderful poem as others have already pointed out. Congratulations! Thank you for your continued support of Whispers, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete