Sunday, September 27, 2015

A Poem to My Descendants--By Stacy Savage--United States

A Poem to My Descendants

Someday I shall perish
When my ticker stops with time,
And I hope I am remembered
By my words of rhyme.

Generations will follow
When my dust is on the earth.
I hope that they get
What a poem is worth.

Will they understand
That a poem is art--
A story that's woven
From a poet's heart?

Will they honor my past
And read my words?
Will I be a poet forgotten
With a voice unheard?

In a hundred years,
When I'm a snapshot in time,
I hope I am remembered
By my words of rhyme.

Previously published in the March/April 2015 issue of Creative Inspirations

Stacy Savage has published six books. Her recent anthology, Naturally Yours: Poems and Short Stories about Indiana State Parks and Reservoirs, benefits Indiana Natural Resources Foundation's "Discovering the Outdoors Fund.” Stacy believes in mixing poetry and good causes together. Visit her Facebook page to keep up-to-date on her poetry contests: https://www.facebook.com/poetrycontestsforacause.

4 comments:

  1. Love it Stacy! What lovely thoughts this conjures up in my mind when I think of the importance of leaving a legacy for my posterity. Not only of words but ones that inspire and move them to faith and good works. May we all leave a legacy of words that inspire. Thank you for sharing your talent with timely words for me to ponder.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Charlene on this one Stacy! I too love the idea of leaving a written legacy though some of us I'm afraid will be forgotten perhaps in time our work will resurface, at timely reminder to make every word count!.....Thanks for sharing this gem of a poem..George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I appreciate your guys' kind comments. It means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely captured and like your choice of theme - something a little different but probably of significance to each that writes.

    ReplyDelete