Thursday, September 17, 2015

Fall in the Smokies--By Tom Davis--United States

Fall in the Smokies

Red, yellow, brown, and orange
tumble down the Smokies
and cloak them
in a carnival of colors

Hickory smoke
curls from a rock chimney
like a lazy snake

The crisp October air
burns my nose
waters my eyes

A Marshmallow skewered
on a coat hanger
roasts over an open fire
Its burnt sweet taste
teases my tongue

Soon,
too soon
all will turn
a majestic white

In his younger years, Tom Davis served as a Special Force Combat Diver. It seems to him that he spent more time on, in, and under the water than as a landlubber. This and other adventures he has written about in his memoir, The Most Fun I Ever Had With My Clothes On: A March From Private to Colonel. http://www.oldmp.com/davismemoirs

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tom, I enjoyed reading your descriptive poem. You painted a realistic picture in words. Good wishes, Chris~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Circles and cycles, in perfect order...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tom:
    Your poem paints a great picture of fall ......I could feel my senses come alive.
    Great reading your work today. SuZ

    ReplyDelete