Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Beacon of Light--By Don Beukes--United Kingdom

Beacon of Light

As shadows dance in the night,
I pray for a light to shine bright,
Words to guide and protect me,
You have a gift can’t you see?
Whispers cut in the dark,
Doubts creep in to cut and tear,
Words will guide and protect me,
You have a gift won’t you see?
Misguided intentions
become inventions
of the mind, heart and soul,
Must believe words can guide
and protect me,
You are the gift,
wish all would see,
Beacon of light,
shining bright…

Don Beukes is a retired teacher of English who now devotes more time to share his words with our global village. Originally from Cape Town, South Africa, he grew up and was educated during the last two decades of Apartheid and want to share his literal mentality in order to enable others to adjust their moral compass in an ever-changing society. He also writes under the alias of SalamanDer.

16 comments:

  1. Great to see your work here at Whispers, Don. Always seek the beacon of light...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always thanks Scott! Your poetic light served as the inspiration for where I am now with my poetic presence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Don,

    I'm glad you found your way here. Welcome to Whispers! I hope you will enjoy your time spent at our poetry journal. I look forward to reading more of your work. Glad to see you already have a wonderful comment from Scott.

    Best wishes,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Karen, thanks for your recognition of my words and message in the poem. I will definately want to share more in the future!

      Delete
  4. Hello Don. Welcome to Whispers and thank you for your nicely-written and insightful poem. Nice inspiration. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you Maurice. Apologies for the late reply. I've been offline for a while.

      Delete
  5. Don,
    I like the repetition of the line "you have a gift can't you see" and the way you cleverly incorporated the word whispers in the poem. A super job and welcome to Whispers!
    Your new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David!Apologies for the late reply. I've been offline for a while.

      Delete
  6. A poem that gives life a sense of brightness. I celebrated as l read it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ndaba! Apologies for the late reply. I've been offline for a while!

      Delete
  7. This is a beautiful write, I love the rhyming scheme you used. Such a brilliant piece, Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rusty! Apologies for the late reply. I've just realised why I missed all the replies. I've been using my hotmail as my default email. I will have to change it on the website.

      Delete