Saturday, September 26, 2015

Lake of Tears--By Richard Sponaugle--United States

Lake of Tears

The chocolate night slowly melts,
til the warm sunrise is felt.
My face reflects off the lake.
I see my bloodshot eyes ache.
Tears long to flow like fountains,
but they’d flood distant mountains.
My body’s silent and still,
like the lake’s surrounding hill.
Yet my heart’s a raging tide,
cause your reflection has died.
My reflection fades away,
cause a mirage never stays.
I sweat in this desert Hell,
far away since our farewell.
When a soldier senses death,
visions of love give him breath.

Richard Sponaugle was born 4-20-60 in Maryland and raised in Northern Virginia.  He received a BA from George Mason University.  A prolific poet and songwriter, he has been published in many venues. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me what my dear Vietnam Vet husband went through and that he tells me all the time the thing that sustained him in that Hell was his love for me and his family. War is horrible and does horrible things to those who must suffer through it. Your poem well describes some of the pain of it all. Once again I am brought to appreciation of what he sacrificed to do his duty to God and his country. Thank you for sharing a well written poem and your talent.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlene, thank you for your kind words on Rick's wonderful poem. I know he will appreciate them when he gets them by mail. Rick, thank you for your ongoing support and encouragement.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete