Tuesday, September 22, 2015

When We Were Royals--By Andrea Dietrich--United States

When We Were Royals

Leaning against the warmth of old oak, I recall your sun burnt skin that summer.
As I let my fingers linger on the side of the bench where you used to sit,
a memory - like noon day’s sun light, seeps into my senses.
A light wind ruffles my hair at the nape of my neck, that same spot you liked to kiss.
You said we were royals as we scattered bread crumbs for our loyal subjects.
Those pigeons! Where have they gone? Now I toss to the ground dry worthless crumbs.
Closing my eyes, I lift my face to sky for sun’s caress. Something tickles my cheek!
Opening my eyes, I see a Monarch butterfly, its tint is that of your sun burnt skin.

Andrea Dietrich grew up in Iowa and now resides in Utah with a spouse and two cats. She has two grown children and six grandchildren. Having graduated BYU with a Spanish major/ESL minor, she has spent most of her adult life teaching. It wasn't until 2000 that she began writing in earnest and discovering her "niche" as a writer of lyrical poetry. The internet opened up a new world for her, and she has spent nearly a decade now participating in poetry clubs, acting as a judge of poetry contests for various magazines and for the website Shadow Poetry.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Andrea:
    Sad but beautiful. The suggestion that your lost one's spirit came to you as a butterfly is so poingant ?spelling. Nice to read your words today, SuZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have still brought an amazing smile to my face by your talented quill my friend. I really enjoyed reading your fabulous and remarkable poem here this evening. What a tremendous piece, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully captured Andrea, gets you from sunburn to kiss to pigeons to butterfly - very sensual and great imagery here!

    ReplyDelete