Thursday, September 17, 2015

Special Feature Collaborative Poem--By Andrea Dietrich and Connie Marcum Wong--United States

Blarney Castle

By Andrea Dietrich and Connie Marcum Wong

I walk the path amid the trees
where footsteps of the past have tread,
where ancient stones of Blarney please,
where lips upon the stone are wed.

My roots run deep with Irish blood
and County Cork's where my folk hail.
There Blarney meets where tourists flood
to kiss the stone below the rail.

Enchanting are the turrets here
bedecked in autumn's vines of red,
the little stream that wanders near,
and steps to where I'm being led.

The Blarney stone at last I see,
so bending backwards now to kiss
the stone, my friend is holding me.
That’s not a mark I want to miss!

I have a thought; I now can say
my mouth has touched where many more
have touched upon this stone of gray.
How many thousands came before?

These ancient walls in ruin stand
With greater hist'ry than most know,
Yet still throngs yield to their command
In visitors that come and go.

Inside the marrow of my bones,
I feel a thrill . Will eloquence
Be mine from having kissed this stone?
I feel the chill of reverence!

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful collaboration! Wonderful poem Andrea & Connie. I savored each verse. You brought the words to life! Good wishes, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Christine. Andrea and I have never collaborated before. This is only the second time I have ever collaborated on a poem with anyone.
      It was very easy working with someone who is as talented as Andrea is. Aloha, Connie

      Delete
  2. Those who honor our past will never be forgotten, for I believe they are ceaseless seen and heard by the ancestors and no doubt will be well rewarded. Bless you, Andrea and Connie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment you have given us Edilson. Thank you very much on behalf of both of us. Aloha, Connie

      Delete
  3. lovely collaboration. Flows so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Maureen, from both of us. Aloha, Connie

      Delete
  4. This is a book mark I am glad I did not miss... Wonderful duet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We appreciate your nice comment Michael. Thank you very much. Aloha, Connie

      Delete
  5. How fun to see my two favorite gal poets writing together
    This brought back memories of my trip to Ireland and Blarney Castle.
    I have to confess I didn't kiss the stone because of health concerns but, hey,
    I was in the presence of all the spirits who came before and it stirred my Irish blood.
    Great collaboration. Hugs SuZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Suz, I will admit I didn't kiss it either for the same reasons as you, but I got a great picture of my 75 year old Aunt kissing the stone and I give her credit. It is difficult bending backwards and leading to reach the stone. Being Irish she was compelled to return home saying she accomplished that feat! Andrea and I had fun writing this. Thank you Suz. Hugs, Connie

      Delete
  6. a fine poem, congrats. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Connie and Andrea,
    This poem brought back all the memory of kissing the Blarney Stone.
    I found this rather daunting but good fun. Chris was chicken lol.
    I met an Irish Poet called Charlie Kidney and he sold me one of his
    Poems for £1, I still have it as a souvenir . I lived the memory through
    This lovely poem. Great to see you two writing together.
    Love,
    Yvonne
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Beth Winchcombe, for the following--

    Blarney Castle

    We've all heard of ' Kissing the Blarney Stone' however this collaborative piece takes us to the scene. ( Many of us have never been to Ireland) so thank you for making it sound very real....which of course it is. You both write well together, many thanks for sharing this artistic poem. Well done, I look forward to seeing you both again in the
    future.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea and Connie,
    A very moving poem. I enjoyed it a lot!
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic poem!
    It rings with kinship!!

    ReplyDelete