Friday, July 8, 2016

All I Need--By Carolyn Martin--United States

All I Need

A few skyward things: one steady star
to guide, one constellation to bet
a myth upon, one quasar to break
the dark. The rest is ornament.

One mountain to announce it is ripe
for bulbs and seeds to multiply
without a first or second thought.
Birth deserves tranquility.

A frenzy of birds at sleep tide’s ebb,
tornados of gnats at dusk’s flow.
Two feral cats. Two red-tailed hawks.
Days that warrant wilding up.

A word for grace or luck or hope
when the mountain blocks my star.
In-the- bone love for all that’s lost.
Something born to lead me home.

(Previously published in The Way a Woman Knows)

Carolyn Martin is blissfully retired in Clackamas, Oregon, where she gardens, writes, and plays. Her poems and book reviews have appeared in journals throughout the US and UK, and her second collection, The Way a Woman Knows, was released in 2015 (www.thewayawomanknows). Since the only poem she wrote in high school was red-penciled "extremely maudlin," she is amazed she has continued to write.

12 comments:

  1. Stunning poem, Carolyn. Let this read me home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome Carolyn...what a start to a poem. The first sentence is magnificent. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn,
    An excellent poem. Welcome to Whispers!
    Your new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, new friend!

    Thanks for the warm welcome. Do you have work here? Date? I'd love to read your poetry!

    Warmly,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn,
    I have work here in May, March January, backwards bi-monthly for the past couple of years. Karen usually makes you skip a month to submit poetry, so you'd be eligible to submit again in September.
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tracked down your last three postings, David. What fun! My garden residents speak the same language as your flowers. And, I’ll have to keep an eye out for acrostic Leprechauns and snowflake quilts when Nature sends them my way! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Carolyn,

    What a delight to see your beautiful poem getting such wonderful comments. Welcome to Whispers! Thank you for sharing your words for our online journal and for inviting others to submit, too. I look forward to reading more of your work.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pleasure to be part of your welcoming community, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Carolyn, and welcome to Whispers! I have enjoyed "All I Need." Thank you for sharing it and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your warm welcome, Mauricie, and kind words. Abundant blessings back at ya!

      Delete