Saturday, July 9, 2016

The Last Swift--By Gareth Culshaw--Wales

The Last Swift

The last swift is bringing
down the sky. He is doing
the caretaker rounds before

the night caps the day. The other
half of the earth is pushing up
the moon. Gently nurturing

it through cloud, rain, song.
Stars will soon be with us,
I stand with hands in pockets

in the middle of the field.
The swift leans, tilts, staggers
his way, wing-boarding

the last breaths of the sun.
I take one last gasp of July
balm, then pocket myself

to bed. Leaving the swift
to carry on with his smocking
stitch of the suns last gasp.

Gareth Culshaw lives in Wales, he loves the outdoors and uses it to help him write. He has been published in various places in the UK and USA.

10 comments:

  1. What brilliant images, Gareth! The swift "bringing/down the sky." The earth "pushing up/the moon." I "pocket myself/into bed." AND, the swift's "smocking/stitch." What unique observations and use of language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gareth,
    A wonderful poem. I like your line breaks. Welcome to Whispers!
    Your new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clear sighted in your observations. Much enjoyed. Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gareth,

    It is a delight to see readers enjoying your wonderful poem. I agree with Carolyn--the last stanza is a awesome. Welcome to Whispers! I hope you are enjoying your time spent here.

    Blessings and best wishes,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Karen...much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Whispers, Gareth. Thank you for sharing your wonderful poem, "The Last Swift." I enjoyed it. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete