Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Man VS. Machine--By Jean Calkins--United States

Man VS. Machine

I look at the screen and push a key.
It asks for an input strange to me.
My fingers rest a bit heavily;
before me appears a word spelled “dddddd.”

I file my text and the monster saves,
but ask for it back and it only raves
“invalid command or file,” in waves!
It is one of the tricky, roguish knaves.

Or perhaps the stupidity is mine.
It has a brain with a logic line
while I have a most emotional sign,
drunk as I am on agéd wine.

(It’s the only way I can stand the beast.)
My most precious notes become its feast.
It could show a little respect at least!
Today this machine may become deceased!

Jean, at 82, has been writing poems since she was 18. For 25 years she published a popular poetry quarterly of up to 100 pages, with a subscribership of nearly 500. Illness in 1986 ended the magazine. She currently publishes, by email, a 2-page monthly of clean humor. Contact her at joker31277@yahoo.com

3 comments:

  1. Good on you Jean - you tell it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, witty, cleverly written poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun, Jean. Nice write. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete