Friday, May 13, 2016

Qualify--By Richard Sponaugle--United States

Qualify

A poetry editor was my friend.
I asked how
he could reject all 12 of my poems.
He said his interest was quality,
not quantity.
I replied, “there’s strength in numbers.”
He said, “Margaret Mitchell wrote trash
except for Gone with the Wind.”
But that book made her
a literary immortal.
I pointed out that
she had mental problems
and died young.
He asked, “What’s that got to do
with your poems?”
I had no good reply,
but got the last laugh.
Our confrontation
led to a published poem.

Richard Sponaugle was born 4-20-60 in Maryland and raised in Northern Virginia.  He received a BA from George Mason University.  A prolific poet and songwriter, he has been published in many venues. 

5 comments:

  1. I just love this - sums up a poet's frustration beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, Richard. Fun. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting conversation. well done you! Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Friends,

    Thank you so much for these wonderful comments for Rick. I will send them to him. Rick, it is so good to have you a part of Whispers! Keep your words flowing, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete