Thursday, February 23, 2017

Gabe’s Ghost…--By Richard Sponaugle--United States

Gabe’s Ghost…

has haunted him so many decades,
it’s grown grey whiskers
Casper the unfriendly ghost,
creeps into Gabe’s heart
in the black of midnight,
and reflects off his soul
by the sunrays of noon.
Time’s made the ghosts’ boos,
echo louder and spookier...
Gabe tells himself it wasn’t his fault.
He had his wife and child to think of.
Despite his father’s tearful pleas,
dad couldn’t move in with him.
He ‘had’ to send dad to a nursing home.
Those youthful thoughts are haunting shadows,
now Gabe’s child’s grown up,
and told him to stop sobbing:
Gabe Junior’s career and love life come first:
Gabe Senior has to enter a nursing home.

Richard Sponaugle was born 4-20-60 in Maryland and raised in Northern Virginia.  He received a BA from George Mason University. A prolific poet and songwriter, he has been published in many venues. 

5 comments:

  1. Dear Richard,
    I sense a certain pathos in this poem as it looks back at would might have been.
    You have blessed me with a work that touches me where I live.
    Thank you,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard,
    I like this. Nice imagery.
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, how poignant! Your well written poem tugs at my heart strings. It saddens me to think of what is the norm for many adult children. Just send them off to a nursing home because it is easier than taking care of mom or dad. I realize sometimes it is necessary but oh so sad if not need be.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Richard, I liked Gabes Ghost. Great imaginary well told story. Thanks for sharing.
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, all, for your wonderful comments on Rick's poem. I will send them to him. Rick, thank you for continuing to share your insightful poetry with us.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete