Friday, February 17, 2017

Seeing far…--By Richard Carl Subber--United States

Seeing far…

I hope Aunt Pam knew we were there today.

It's a delicate hope,
   less desperate than it is urgent,
      less spiritual than it is personal,
         private, protective….

It is my fragile awareness that I imagine
   the searing loneliness of dying without
      the careful press of fingers touching me,
         the caressing hands of my loved ones
           who want to be sure the touch is special, warm….

I want to know they will surround me
   when my time comes,
      I want to believe I will know they are near,
         I want to know for sure I will hear them
            even if I cannot wake….

I realize I am saying,
   with great love and with profound selfishness,
      I hope Aunt Pam knew we were there today.

Richard Carl Subber is a freelance editor, a writing coach, and a historian. He lives with his family in Natick, Massachusetts, USA. He’s a former newspaper reporter/editor who now indulges his love of the right words.  Rick is a proud grandpa who is teaching his granddaughter to read and write, because surely there is poetry in her future.  His poetry also has been accepted for publication in The Aurorean, The Australia Times Poetry, miller’s pond, The RavensPerch, Northern Stars, Creative Inspirations, and elsewhere.  His website is: http://richardsubber.com/    

7 comments:

  1. Dear Richard,
    Intriguing form; thoughtful message.
    Thank you,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, hope she knew she was surrounded by loving caring people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard,
    I just connected with you on Facebook. My name on Facebook is David Ira Fox.
    Your friend,
    David Fox
    P.S. If you want to have any of your books reviewed send it to me via my address of my magazine, and I will review it and send you a complimentary copy of the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, I just replied to you on Facebook. I'll send you a copy as soon as the paperback version is available. Rick

      Delete
  4. Thanks Michael, Danny, David -- Aunt Pam was a beloved old gal in our family, let's all remember to say "I love you" to the folks we love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good writing Richard, both style and content. This brought me
    memroies about the distance breached by love. My dad and mother had been traveling, and we didn't know when they were comming home. Suddenly I heard them talking and new they were comming. When I heard them, they were five miles away. I told my brother and sisters. We were all happy and they showed up 30 minutes later.
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yancy, indeed, as you say, love sees far and love reaches far...

      Delete