Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Steady Lungs--By Scott Thomas Outlar--United States

Steady Lungs

I am tempted when you test me
with these trials and tribulations
to succumb
beneath the turbulent waves
and wash away
to the depths of an ocean
that cannot be fathomed,
but I know that the goal
is in reach,
and so if I just keep
taking one more step
I will breach the surface
to breathe the beauty
of your divinity
and grace
into these lungs
that are ready
to seize
such a blissful taste.

(Originally appeared in Leaves of Ink)

Scott Thomas Outlar hosts the site 17Numa.wordpress.com where links to his published poetry, fiction, essays, interviews, and books can be found. He recently received three Pushcart Prize nominations for his work in 2016. Scott serves as an editor for Walking Is Still Honest Press, The Blue Mountain Review, The Peregrine Muse, and Novelmasters.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Scott,
    Thank you for this inspiring poem.
    While reading I was drawn to the idea of perseverance in life.
    Blessings,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your writing and take on "Steady Lungs" Scott. Ladies can
    put us through all kinds of things. I wasn't quite sure I understood the last line. Were you eating your lungs?
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete