Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Why?--John Polselli--United States

Why?
(a villanelle)

I saw my lover’s face within the sky
Last night when evening swept the sun away.
I asked her silently one question: Why?

For was not youth so luminous and spry
Upon her countenance just yesterday?
I saw my lover’s face within the sky,

Through tears reflecting clouds that drifted by;
And while I gazed up toward the Milky Way,
I asked her silently once question: Why?

Yes, why did death’s dark doorway multiply
The grief the sad earth daily does display?
I saw my lover’s face within the sky,

And prior to my bidding her goodbye—
Her comeliness commencing its decay,
I asked her silently one question: Why?

But never was I granted a reply:
I only watched her fade with coming day.
I saw my lover’s face within the sky
I asked her silently one question: Why?

John Polselli’s poetry has been published in many literary journals and is the recipient of several Editor’s Choice Awards. As a poet, John enjoys composing in all traditional forms including free verse as well as inventing his own.

3 comments:

  1. Dear John,
    Thank you for this excellent example of the Villanelle form. Like especially your alliterative sequence in line 1 of stanza 4.
    Blessings,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. John
    This is beautiful. I loved it!Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said John, Many things in life lead to the question why?
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete