Monday, March 20, 2017

Channeling Maya--By Peggy Dugan French--United States

Channeling Maya

I wonder what Maya would have told me if I’d had the opportunity to ask her for guidance? Would she have said “stand tall girl and walk your walk” in that big booming voice full of hard-earned wisdom?  Or remind me to be gutsy and adventurous and to always be my own person, whatever the cost?  She might have told me to think with my head but lead with my heart and not let fear be my guide. She would no doubt advise me to work hard and be passionate, share my gifts and soak up life’s goodness.  She would certainly want me to be generous and kind, be a good friend and love a child – be a blessing to somebody. Her solid truths would have rained down on me and I would have soaked them up like a welcoming summer rain. Perhaps she would have invited me into her womanly tribe and help pilot me to my true center, making it easier to see the light shining within. Maya enlightened generations with her insightfulness and tasteful originality, she lit the road for many and fueled my own curiosity for life and living well. I’m thankful for her clear headedness and her courage, I have found a richer road to travel because her words mixed with my young soul and have strolled along with me through the years. I vow to always try to be a blessing to somebody.

volumes full of brilliance
traveling companions
channeling Maya


Peggy Dugan French is a California girl with Minnesota roots. She has enjoyed being the editor of Shemom since 1997. She has worn many hats over the years, but being a Mom has been one of her greatest adventures; she’s had the pleasure of sharing that journey with her best friend.

16 comments:

  1. Dear Peggy
    Thank you for this tender Haibun. It is full of wisdom and grace.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Michael, I appreciate that very much! Peggy

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this Peggy. It is very good Writing. I am not sure what is met by "Channeling Maya" There's many thing it could mean. 1-From Mayan Indian tribe. 2-illusion 3-imagination. 4-way
    of the world and a lot more. I tend to think its seeking
    approval of world. I do not know, but its very
    interesting reading. It might mean a wise
    Indian mother. Could you enlighten this
    uneducated old gentlemen?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yancy, thank you for your comments, glad you enjoyed the piece. The piece is about Maya Angelou who I have admired greatly over the years, she carried a lot of wisdom with her always. Best, Peggy

      Delete
    2. Thanks Peggy for en lighting me. I knew it was one who
      was respected and looked up to for approval. I had
      not heard of her before. Grateful for the update.
      Very descriptive writing..
      Yancy

      Delete
    3. YOUR welcome Peggy and thanks for
      the education.
      Yancy

      Delete
    4. PS I read your nice poetry and commented with out
      reading your Bio. Now I read your Bio. If I had
      read Bio 1st I would have figured it out a lot
      sooner. What a lesson learned. LOL Peggy.
      Yancy

      Delete
  3. A beautiful tribute to Maya and description of a special 'spirit' friendship...thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Peggy
    It is a blessing to have the opportunity to know someone with so much wisdom. Thank you for sharing these very special words with us.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this piece of writing is a befitting homage to a great author and thinker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ndaba, I really appreciate your words. You are right, she wdasa great author and thinker!

      Delete
  6. you certainly picked a good mentor and inspiration! I find your writing inspiring as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, so very much for your kind words!

      Delete