Sunday, February 8, 2015

February Fever--By Joyce I. Johnson--United States

February Fever

You have loved me through the worries.
You've stood by me through the pain.
I have found you there still waiting
When the world was bright again.

In the battle of the poets,
Closeted within their dens,
Words their only ammunition
Shooting from their ink filled pens,

Seeking phrase, uniquely pretty
And an unused metaphor,
They have not the time to help me
Woo the one whom I adore.

Without muse or bard assistance
Am I equal to the game?
In trite words of deep devotion
Will the message be the same?

I can't say it grandiosely
As I show this love of mine.
The old hackneyed words must do then.
Will you be my Valentine?

Joyce I. Johnson lives in the beautiful Skagit Valley of Washington State. She owns a small farm and rents her land to a bulb grower. She is surrounded by beauty in the spring from the tulips and daffodils that inspire much of her poetry. Joyce celebrated her 96th birthday in July of 2014.

6 comments:

  1. Joyce, thank you for sharing your lovely poem. How wonderful to be surrounded by
    tulips and daffodils in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce. This was a delightful, expressive poem that I enjoyed very much. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Joyce!!! I really loved this wonderful and heartfelt poem that is so well written. Thank you for sharing your amazing talent with us here on Whispers. Undoubtedly your ability with words has kept you young. Nothing wrong with your 96 year old mind. :)
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. So expressive, lovely for sure! I am happy I stopped for a moment to read you...Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very romantic, Joyce!! Even after all these years it is true love that still inspires such beautiful lines. You truly deserve your Valentine:) // paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Joyce I ticked all those boxes, cause this write did it for me..'

    ReplyDelete