Thursday, February 19, 2015

Old Rag Sonnet--By Robert A. Hall--United States

Old Rag Sonnet

A denim shirt that you have cast aside,
I know that I am frayed around the cuff,
A button gone, and I am worn enough
To make the mending hopeless, though you tried.
If I were jewelry or a fancy gown--
But faithful service never was the thing
Could make a shirt into a diamond ring,
So carelessly you smile, and put me down.

But you might put me in some corner drawer,
The sentimental way you'd save a friend,
For you might find some use for me again--
Wear me around the house, or mop the floor.
And I'd be handy wiping up the rain
That streaks like tears across your window pane.
___________________

Published in Share the Cup: Poetry of Love and Life by Robert A. Hall. Available on Amazon. Royalties go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation
___________________

Robert A. Hall, a Marine Vietnam Veteran, served 5 terms in the Massachusetts State Senate. He was an Association Executive from 1982 to 2013, retiring due to pulmonary fibrosis for a lung transplant 12/23/13. His 11 books, including two of poetry, Old Jarhead Poems and Share the Cup are here: http://tinyurl.com/n79esoh. Royalties go to charity. He does the Old Jarhead blog.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Isha Wagner, for the following--

    Always a delight to read a sonnet, especially this one : makes me smile. Beautifully composed. Robert makes it look easy. I always think it's a special gift to write a sonnet well as Robert has done.

    Yours sincerely
    Isha Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a Vietnam vet, my relation to the metaphors in this profound write hit deep in the memories. Very good sonnet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Robert, how your words bring forth a sympathy within me........... love the metaphors to life therein! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Robert, what a sonnet. I feel sorry for that old denim shirt. I want to take it home and do something special with it. Maybe use the better parts in a pieced quilt, tied with love and given to someone who needs warmth in their life. Personification used in this poem will make me think twice before I throw out an old shirt. :) Thank you for sharing your talent with us.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robert. I like your Sonnet. You blend the words so beautifully. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete