Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I Do Not Know You--By Jim Teeters--United States

I Do Not Know You

I do not know you
Slum of Santiago, Chile

I see your sweltering roofs
of corrugated metal
as we speed by in our
air conditioned airport shuttle

I do not see your dwellers
who I imagine go off to
richer streets to beg, perform, or sell

Perhaps the juggler of three limes
blocking the traffic lane, who hopes
for an appreciative payment
is from you
or maybe the man
soliciting to wash windshields
in the busy intersection is too

I only can guess for I am now flying
over the snowcapped Andes
cup of wine on my tray table

Jim Teeters has published poetry in several anthologies. He conducts poetry workshops for children and adults and is active in poetry readings in the Seattle area through the Striped Water Poets. He is the author of six poetry collections and the book, Teach with Style, (ASTD Press July 2013). Jim is a retired social worker living in Kent, Washington.

8 comments:

  1. an insightful look at the divisions in our world
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. the delimma of travelers -- to understand new cultures and terrain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim teeters. This poem is a clear look of the sorrounding with the mind, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your piece Jim, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am often given to such flights of thought as I pass by unknown neighborhoods in my travels to and from better places. Well done!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim, your poem makes me ponder my blessings and be grateful.. There are so many in this world so much worse off than I who am abundantly blessed. I often wonder, Is it enough to think only grateful thoughts, or do we have a responsibility to make life a little easier for others less fortunate? Thank you for sharing your talent with us on Whispers.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tim. Nice poem. Thank you for sharing it with us. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete