Thursday, June 14, 2018

Can You Go Home Again?--By Caryl Calsyn--United States

Can You Go Home Again?

The author, Thomas Wolfe
wrote that you cannot.

I wanted to argue that I have
done so, in visits, countless times,

but I have to concede, he is right,
as I stand in a house no longer home.

We were a family of five the last time
I was here. I’d been sure we’d always be.

My husband and son had left, too soon,
and now reside in their heavenly home.

Memories, reality and tears overflowed
as I stood in a house no longer home.

Caryl Calsyn is a retired interior designer.  She has always been a writer, but poetry became the mode preferred a few years ago and eventually she became a published author.  She is a past president of a writer’s club, past chairman of the county historical commission and a museum board member.  She leads a faith group and sings in a chorale and the church choir.

21 comments:

  1. A well-written, passionate, piece Caryl. I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing. Continued blessings!

    -MJ
    (www.creativeinspirationspp.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MJ. Your kind words man a lot to me.
      Caryl

      Delete
  2. Lovely piece Caryl, I love the way it is structured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peggy. Comments from other poets say a lot.
      Caryl

      Delete
    2. Thanks and thanks for all you do.
      Caryl

      Delete
  3. Dear Caryl

    Thank you for your heartfelt poem!

    Best wishes,
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, such a heartfelt & touching write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack. Glad it touched your heart.
      Caryl

      Delete
  5. Well written & well said Caryl
    Knight Writer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caryl,
    A beautiful job. I loved reading it!
    Your friend,
    David Fiox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caryl,
    I've lost count of the times I've read this piece and I'm still not sure what to say, other than tender, touching, beautiful.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick. I love the words you came up with!
      Caryl

      Delete
  8. This is a well penned poem that not only describes a state of mind , but makes an attempt to instill such thoughts within the reader's mind through great imagery and triggered emotions. Emile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - high praise and much appreciated.
      Caryl

      Delete
  9. Home is a feeling you will know when you are there. Time and change often leaves only nostalgia. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dwight. Glad you understand.
      Caryl

      Delete