Sunday, June 17, 2018

My Father’s Late-Night Suppers--By Joan Leotta--United States

My Father’s Late-Night Suppers

My father often worked late,
arriving home near midnight
to a late supper of poached eggs
in tomato sauce,
or fried eggs and peppers.
I sat by him at the yellow
Formica slice
that was our kitchen table
to spill out my day to him
while he ate. I sampled his
supper—liking it because he liked it.
On warm summer
nights, after his late supper,
he scooped small bowls of ice cream
for himself, my mom and me and
out on the back porch
we ate and talked while watching stars.

Joan Leotta is a writer and story performer. She writes and tells to show the beauty and importance of ordinary moments, ordinary people –living in ordinary and extraordinary times. 

7 comments:

  1. Joan,
    A beautiful tribute to your father. I loved this!
    Yours truly,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joan,

    A vivid memory you describe here. Thanks for sharing your poem.

    Best wishes,
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. Touching and memorable. Thank you for sharing, Joan. Continued blessings!

    -MJ
    (www.creativeinspirationspp.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderfully nostalgic piece! Reminds me of days gone by of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good Joan,
    I enjoyed the read
    Knight Writer

    ReplyDelete
  6. A touching scene - thanks for sharing.
    Caryl Calsyn

    ReplyDelete