Monday, June 4, 2018

Nuts--By Lynn White--Wales

Nuts

Last night I dreamt
a squirrel's dream.
It must have been a squirrel’s.
Possibly red, possibly grey,
but definitely a squirrel’s.
There were so many nuts.
They were falling from the sky
like heavy rain.
I had to put up my blue umbrella
to protect me from the showers.
And on the ground,
ankle deep acorns
and hazels
were overtopping my blue boots.
But I saw no squirrels,
only their dreams
of nutty profusion.                        

(First published in Indiana Voice Journal)

Lynn White lives in north Wales. Her work is influenced by issues of social justice and events, places and people she has known or imagined. She is especially interested in exploring the boundaries of dream, fantasy and reality. Many poems have been widely published in anthologies, as well in online and print publications.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn. It's funny that while I sit at my desk enjoying this unique and wonderful poem, I see, outside my window, a squirrel holding something brown to his mouth. I will assume it's an acorn. I really enjoyed this piece. Thank you for sharing. Continued blessings!

    -MJ
    (www.creativeinspirationspp.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lynn,

    Your poem made me smile and full of imagery. I see right before me that you hold up an umbrella to protect you from falling nuts ☺

    Best wishes,
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha, had a chuckle at this : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice... a very fun read, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn,
    Your squirrel poem made me smile. I've always liked squirrels but never got too close.
    Yours truly,
    David Fox
    P.S. Just "rediscovered" publishing on websites,. Most of the ones I've supported in the past, have unfortunately "gone under", for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem made me smile!
    Caryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute and colourful poem, Lynn! I am sure there must be an explanation for your dream. Unfortunately we don't have squirrels in Malta, so a dream like this one would be welcome for me:) Regards // paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this poem Lynn, it takes me back to my
    childhood of watching squirrels.
    Knight Writer

    ReplyDelete