Saturday, June 9, 2018

Rondel for a Faithless Lover--By Nick Spargo--United Kingdom

Rondel for a Faithless Lover

I touched her cheek and left her standing there;
No words to say, no more tears to cry,
No answer to that simple question “Why?”
Whatever made me think that life was fair?

People always said we made the perfect pair,
Until I caught her out in yet another lie,
I touched her cheek and left her standing there;
No words to say, no more tears to cry.

I wander wind-swept streets all too aware
My heart is frozen, though my eyes are dry,
Move on; forget her, can I even try?
One thought still plagues me, “Did she ever care?”
I touched her cheek and left her standing there.

Nick Spargo writes poetry, short stories and monologues. He has been published extensively and has won a number of prizes with his work. He lives in the South-West of England.

17 comments:

  1. I love your poem, Nick. Perhaps we've all had a lost love and this brings it back. The pain is palpable.
    Caryl Calsyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caryl,
      thank you so much. As you say we've all been there, and it doesn't matter how long ago it was it can still hurt.
      Nick

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Peggy,
      Thanks very much I glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. I - like many others - can certainly relate to this, Nick. Although, in your case, I suspect this is pure fiction. You did a great job with this difficult form

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack,
      As usual you've hit the nail right on the head; it's one of the reasons we right so that people say "Ouch! Yes, been there, done that." But not pure fiction based on something that happened a very long time ago in Scotland.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I'll learn to spell eventually as well.

      Delete
  4. Dear Nick,

    You are a very good writer, able to write many different poetry forms, this one of them. Thank you for sharing.

    Best wishes,
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Inge,
      Thank you so much. A compliment like that from someone with your skill and beauty with words is praise indeed.
      Nick

      Delete
  5. Nick,
    This rondel is fabuious! I loved reading it.
    ~Davidf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Thank you very much, I am so pleased you enjoyed it.
      Nick

      Delete
  6. Hi Nick. I enjoyed your touching and well-written poem. Thank you for sharing. Continued blessings!

    -MJ
    (www.creativeinspirationspp.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maurice, I'm pleased that you read it and sensed the pathos and emotion in it. Writing it was quite difficult as it awoke some old, not too pleasant memories.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nick,
    Good poem on heart break
    Knight Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yancy,
      I'm pleased you liked it; it's something that happens to so many of us at one time or another.
      Nick

      Delete
  9. This is a telling story that allows us a window into our own fears and reactions to life as it is dealt. It flows well and holds our interest from start to finish. Emile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emile,
      Thank you for your insights, it's gratifying to know you appreciated it.
      Nick

      Delete