Saturday, October 11, 2014

Alpinist--By Connie Marcum Wong--United States

Alpinist

I can feel the frigid air bite my lungs
as my shallow breaths try in vain to
soothe and stop the burning pain.
Each struggling footfall could be my last,
yet the mountain taunts me to keep onward.
The snow has consumed my crampon booted feet
with numbness as trembling loins beg my brain for rest.
Heartbeats match the pounding in my head.
I just can’t stop now when so near the summit.
Blinding snow begins to fall as I leave my two
closest friends behind on the promontory.
They plead with me to turn back with them.
All sensibilities have vanished into the whiteness.
“As I feel the snow fly, I will conquer or die”.
Let these words be my epitaph I call to them,
should the mountain claim my sorry soul.

Connie Marcum Wong has been the Web Mistress of a private poetry forum Poetry for Thought since October 1999. Her poetry has been in many publications, anthologies, magazines, and e-zines over the years. She published her first poetry chapbook, Island Creations in 2005. In 2007, Heart Blossoms was published. In January 2010, an anthology, A Poetry Bridge to All Nations, was published by Lulu Enterprises, Inc. Connie created the 'Constanza' poetry form in 2007 and Con-Verse form in 2010. She has resided with her husband in Hawaii since 1980.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting poem, Connie. And, very much applies to life and surviving in this old world. It is interesting, too, that no matter how strong the urge is to survive, there is a just as strong urge to rise above and conquer.................. your poem serves as a grand metaphor to life....... Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Andrea Dietrich, for the following--

    Connie has been a friend and mentor of mine since I first go to know her over ten years ago. This latest poem of hers is just one example of the splendor of her writing. Congratulations for this well deserved spotlight, Connie. You have done so much for the poetry community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, David Austin, for the following--

    Congrats to Connie and thanks for being there for everyone. With love, Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fitting and lovely metaphor about life, Connie. This Alpinist knows what she's after and, despite the stumbling blocks, her unfailing perseverance will bring her a just reward. Well done! // paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifuly expressed. There is a sense of selflessness and selifishness in going beyond and in what/who you may leave behind. I hadn't considered this before; a thought provoking poem indeed. Best wishes Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I read this I too thought what a great metaphor for life. There is just something about the human soul that once an important goal is made, one just cannot give up until it is realized. I really loved the determination and courage portrayed by this individual who will never never give up. I loved the read and thank you for sharing your talent.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Connie,
    I love this poem and how you stimulate those areas of the brain to think
    deeply, wonderful descriptiveness .
    Love,
    Yvonnne
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, Connie, and what an opening line! You tell a griping story through clear images and stunning movement. Love it! Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete