Thank you for considering Whispers for a place to share your writing. The guidelines follow:
1. Submissions of unpublished and previously published work are
acceptable. Please do not send quotes from others unless they are in
the context of the piece submitted and that the original author is given
credit. It is up to the author to obtain permission if needed for
reprints. By submitting to Whispers, the writer is assuring that the work is his or her own. Whispers reserves the right to delete any work that has been copied from another writer without credit or authorization.
2. Send one of the three following:
---1 poem 20 lines or less
---up to 5 haiku/senryu (please make sure to clearly identify that separate poems are
---up to 3 tanka (see above)
---for people that are not poets, 1 short paragraph of encouragement will be considered
Writers are eligible for publication every other month.
3. You may include a bio of 4-5 lines written in third person style.
See “Living Wings” published January 15, 2013 for an example. A bio is
not necessary for publication.
4. No profanity, erotica, violence or other derogatory writing will be accepted.
5. Whispers reserves the right to select poetry based on the goal stated at the end of the guidelines.
6. Spiritual poetry is welcomed but the editor would like to have a
variety of pieces that will uplift and inspire readers. Humor is
7. Children’s poetry is appreciated. Parent permission is required. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org before sending.
8. Poetry will be published along the left margin for consistency. Please keep that in mind when submitting.
9. Preferred method of submission is to send poetry as a works document
or in the body of an email with your name and country. Please email
your submission to Karen O’Leary at email@example.com If you would
rather submit by snail mail, please email Karen for her address. You
may email her with any questions you may have.
10. I hope you also participate by commenting on others’ writing.
In this challenging time for many, it is the hope that Whispers will
connect people in a way that is supportive, encouraging and inspiring
to others. Thank you for considering being a part of this community.