Sunday, October 5, 2014

Gentleness--By Jan Oskar Hansen--Portugal

Gentleness

In the cool shadow of a large carob tree
A saw flowers I have never seen before
They shimmered as just above
The surface of the soil and I knew these
Were not flowers but a resting rainbow
There had been a slight drizzle in the morning
And this one must have fallen
Over an exposed olive root when flying too low.
I touched the flowers they shone so bright
I could not see my hand.
I the East dark clouds gathered, more rain to night
And the rainbow would be safe.
So I tell you,
When my time comes do not pick flowers for me,
Let them be airborne and free.

Jan Oskar Hansen is a published poet from Portugal.

9 comments:

  1. such beautiful sentiments here - love the last line

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Jan Hansen from Portugal. Your poem is interesting and different and therefore quite uniquely written and expressed. A joy to read. Your respect for life shows in your love of life in the flowers and that is a very beautiful thing! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Isha Wagner, for the following--

    Gentleness such an appropriate title for this verse. An exquisite use of words to express this writer's thought..I agree when time comes no flowers ....airborne and free pervading all.

    Yours sincerely
    Isha Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautifully imagined piece. Gentleness indeed. Best wishes Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jan. really enjoyed your poem. I always feel it a shame to pick flowers. They soon die, better leave them where they are and ejoy them. thank you for sharing. well done. Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed this lovely poem, Jan. Coloured flowers and rainbows go so very well together. I agree...flowers do not have to be picked; they can be appreciated in their natural habitat. Best wishes....paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice poem, Jan. I understand the meaning and appreciate the depth and passion in which it is displayed here. Thank you and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan thank you for sharing your talent in this well written lovely poem.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete