Monday, October 6, 2014

Ullswater--By Paul Callus--Malta

Ullswater

It was around mid April
The weather almost fair.
The song of nature calling
Came flowing through the air.

The splendour of the mountains:
Their charm could not resist
And even more enchanting
When shrouded in the mist.

The hues, the shades and fragrance
The glades, the woods and rills
The lake serene and peaceful,
The undulating hills....

The sight – so captivating
How could my heart not melt!
Spiritual and romantic;
I know how Wordsworth felt.

Across the miles I miss the beauty
Of the wealth I left behind
But at least there are the memories
In the corners of my mind.  


Paul Callus is a Maltese author who writes both in Maltese and English. He has contributed to several anthologies. Apart from poetry he writes lyrics for songs and has published two books, one a story book aimed at children (related to his experience as a teacher) and a historical book based on research.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Paul! I love your poem and the distinct syllable count in the first 4 quatrains of 7 and 6 syllables and how delicately you move to a count of 9 - 7 !! I really love that about this poem. It really accentuates a rhythm as one would realize and hope that life would be in such sync! Wish more writers would take care in their counting of syllables. To be off sometimes really throws off the balance and flow of a poem. Beautifully done! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri! Thank you for the insightful read into my poem; it is the type of feedback that I so much appreciate. I am glad that you enjoyed this poem inspired by one of my several visits to the Lake District. Have a nice day. // paul

      Delete
  2. Your poem is wonderful Paul. Great flow....I enjoyed reading it! ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine for stopping by to read my poem. I am pleased that you found it to your liking. // paul

      Delete
  3. Sounds such a wonderful place, very well done. best wishes. Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. It is a beautiful place, but then most of the Lake District is like that! No wonder many authors have been inspired by it. Regards...paul

      Delete
    2. Lovely poem .
      Regards,
      Lavana

      Delete
    3. Thank you Lavana; glad you enjoyed. Have a nice day! // paul

      Delete
  4. Hi Paul. Nice work. Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul this is beautiful. I loved the rhythm the imagery and the rhyme. I am especially fond of rhyming poems that are coming back in vogue. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent. And yes aren't memories wonderful things.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete