Thursday, October 16, 2014

Faraway Woman--By Donna Bowring--United States

Faraway Woman

She walks alone on a high mountain
glides barefoot through Arabian sands.
She communes with old gods in the high desert
builds a thatched hut on a beach
and explores forbidden jungles.

She lives on an island in Puget Sound
rides Alaskan ice on a dog sled
and dances under a silver moon in Tahiti.
She haunts a monastery in Ireland
and runs with the bulls in Pamplona.

She knits skeins of the past into long memories
drinks down the rays of a dying sun
and blows its ashes to the four winds.
She reads the dust of fading stars
for visions of love, fortune and death.

She lights a beacon
for those in restless slumber
who will rise in dreams
to become a faraway woman.

Donna Bowring is a retired graphic artist from Goodyear, AZ. Her short stories have been published in the 2012, 2013 and 2014 Inkslingers' Anthology, a publication of the West Valley Writer's Workshop. She has also published short stories in the 2012 and 2013 editions of Canyon Voices, an online journal from the west campus of Arizona State University.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this well written impressive write. I loved the line, "She knits skeins of the past into long memories". Your description of a faraway woman reminded me of a woman, "a virtuous woman" in the Old testament, "Who can find a virtuous woman, her price is far above rubies" and then it goes on to name all the things that make her thus. I enjoyed the poem.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - all of our sisters
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Donna,

    Welcome to Whispers! I am glad to see you already have two lovely comments on your poem. I hope you enjoy your time spent with us. Please let me know if you have any questions.

    Best wishes,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, I like your poem which depicts the visions and dreams of women. We aren't just friends, daughters and mothers, we are souls of great depth and love. Those who stray from this natural definition embraced in love, are living in a world of illusion and find their "equality" in ways that defile woman's purpose and bond. Perhaps, I have strayed off the subject with garble, but if one thinks about it, the reality is there. God bless! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna,
    First let me say what a lovely name you have -- it is also my mother's :) Next, I want to say how I enjoyed following this "faraway woman" in all her travels. Welcome to Whispers!
    Your new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Robert Defresne, for the following--

    This poem had me caught up in it's splendor of words and pictures. I especially liked the third verse. These highly descriptive and picturesque words are so impressive to me. This is great stuff and tickles a desire to create. Uplifting and inspiring, Donna. Thank you so much.

    Bob D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to Whispers, Donna. Thank you for blessing us with your gifts and talents. I enjoyed reading "Faraway Woman." It is a very nice poem. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete