Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Louisiana Rain--By Colleen Keller Breuning--United States

Louisiana Rain

Standing by the river dock
shivering, cold, and alone
prepare to be boarded on barges
the final destination unknown.

Scars crisscross ebony backs
pain and cruelty take a toll
on display in auction shacks
sell the lot and sell your soul.

Bend your knees and bow your head
as metal bites ankles and wrists
sun beats down in fields of cotton
stomach churning, eyes a-mist

Rage and fear pierce the heart
emotions raging like a hurricane
just another day in bondage
awash in the Louisiana rain.

Colleen Keller Breuning is a poet and photographer who was born and raised in Maryland. She currently resides in Purcellville, Virginia. Her poetry, short stories and photography have been published in a variety of print and online magazines during the past decade. Her first poetry book, Shadows of My Father, was a tribute to her father and published in 2011. She is currently working on her second book of poetry, along with assorted photography projects. She participates in several online writing groups. In addition to poetry and photography, she loves nature, music, cats and wine (not necessarily in that order).

20 comments:

  1. Feels the pain. I look forward to more of your work.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Colleen, your quatrains tell a powerfully emotional story and punctuated by the storm. There are so many ways to tell a story and yours stands out as emphasized by the imagery you present and by the seemingly torrential rains...... Sheri www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, She Sta! I am very honored to have this poem chosen. :)

      Delete
  3. I was as much looking forward to seeing what was posted as I was just to see you posted here, Colleen... I felt the oppressive weight of like, from another time and place, from those lost in time and forever misplaced. Those burdens were real.

    Oh, and... Welcome to Whispers! ... Myke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend. I wrote this well over a year ago and it was very special to me. Many thanks for pointing me this way!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Colleen, the beauty of your words brought to life the hardships of that time. You are an amazing writer and I always enjoy reading your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura, I'm truly honored. Good to see you and I do appreciate your kind words! xo

      Delete
  5. Dear Colleen,

    It's good to see you already have so many lovely comments on your wonderful poem. Welcome to Whispers! I hope you enjoy your times spent here. Keep up the good writing. Please let me know if you have any questions. Look forward to reading more poetry by you.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am truly honored, thank you so much for this opportunity. I hope to visit this wonderful forum many times over!

      Delete
  6. Hi Colleen. Welcome to Whispers and what a wonderful way to make an entrance with "Louisiana Rain." This poem is filled with imagery and emotion. How you blend the moment in time with the elements of nature is very creative. I would love to read and publish some of your material at Creative Inspirations (web address below). Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maurice! I'm looking forward to reading some great poetry here. I will certainly come visit your website and submit, if you would like. Thank you for your kind words! :)

      Delete
  7. Wow. this is an amazing write so visual. well done. best wishes. Pete.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Peter! I love to incorporate imagery; the words just flowed trying to think of what those in the past had to endure. Thanks again!

      Delete
  8. Your imagery always gives life to your words. but then you know I am one of your biggest fans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colleen, what a poignant write! The imagery is heart wrenching. That time in history, when the hearts of some slave owners were hard and unyielding is difficult for me to fathom. Thank Heaven those "dog days" are over. Thank you for sharing your talent and welcome to Whispers.
    Sincerely, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlene, and I totally agree. Indeed it's hard to fathom, and to think of their hardships is just heartbreaking. So happy to be here!

      Delete
  10. A glimpse of history, powerfully portrayed. I value your work very much. Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colleen,
    Being from New York and having never visited,, I do not know much about Louisiana. But your poem makes me feel like I am there, getting drenched in the rain.
    Your new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete