Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Autumn Garden--By Ralph Stott--England

The Autumn Garden

I walk the shorter paths,
Where the longer shadows stretch
Back from the greenhouse.

I see summer’s glow,
As I gather autumn fruit;
Crops of setting suns.

Solar-powered lanterns,
Fading by tilting stems
Of drooping sunflowers.

Above a lone spade,
Drunk from the apple-sour scent,
Gnats gather and dance.

As summer retreats,
There! The yellow garden-hose;
Coiled, ready for spring.

Ralph Stott was born in Kent, England in 1957. He is married and has two daughters.  He studied design at the Medway College of Design in the mid-70's. Expressing ideas through the written/visual media, has always interested him. Ralph began to dedicate more time to poetry with The Writers and Poetry Alliance, in particular the 'Stylists' forum, over the last 3 years. He has self published one book called Legends For Lunchtime; a collection of short stories and has a second book pending called The Sounding.

15 comments:

  1. a beautiful and evocative description of autumn. Here in New Zealand we are sweeping into spring. watching the buds / swell into blossom / promise of warmth.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always difficult to be 'current' in the global arena of Whispers! Glad you enjoyed my ramble through what is the beginnings of autumn. Best wishes Ralph.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Ralph. I like your autumn word painting, filled with the greatest color and scenery! Thank you! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri. Thank you for your comments. I enjoy the autumn palate! Best wishes Ralph.

      Delete
  3. I see this autumn write as a string of haiku, descriptive and thought provoking...each one a gem on its own merits. Very much enjoyed. // paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took my lead from a set of traditional Haiku, I found in the British museum bookshop. I am pleased you have enjoyed these, as I had originally titled them as a Haiku Suite. Thank you for stopping by. Best wishes Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your talent for writing lovely poems and for this one full of imagery. I could just see the knats dancing. A delightful poem that warmed my heart even though summer has quickly faded.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Charles for your kind words. It was a warm dry sunny Septemberwhich I couldnt help but comment on. Best wishes Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ralph. "The Autumn Garden" is what I would call "A Poet's Poem." The images are clear and the flow is smooth going down into the heart and imagination of the reader. Very nice write. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts. There was s particularprocess and spontaneity with this piece that I don't think Ill be able to replicate; such is the nature of poetry writing!

      Delete
  8. Hi Ralph, I enjoyed your lovely poem. Autumn is my favorite time of year. I love the colors, scents & magic of the season. You painted a beautiful picture drawing me into the scenario. Thanks for sharing...~Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardens can be very beguiling ! Glad you enjoyed my piece with my hybernating hose:-) Ralph

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Robert Dufresne, for the following-

    I enjoyed this poem all around and liked the way the last verse is executed .
    Great job of it Ralph!

    Bob D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Bob. Difficult poem to round off. Glad you enjoyed. Best wishes Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely imagery and a terrific play on words in the last line....you have to pull back from the image of a yellow snake coiled to spring, Bravo.
    SuZ

    ReplyDelete