Sunday, April 24, 2016

Contentment--By Joyce I. Johnson--United States

Contentment

I've not sailed down Niagara Falls
Nor climbed Mt. Everest's heights.
I haven't crossed the Sahara,
Nor danced under city lights.

I'm just a little country girl,
Without the yen to roam.
This lovely, bounteous valley
Will always be my home.

In spring, the fields of flowers
Call visitors from afar;
Big busses bring some tourists
And others come by car.

Before daffodils and tulips
Have quite faded away,
A big expanse of iris
Will brighten up my day.

I'm a few hours from the mountains,
A like time from the sea.
I do not need to travel,
The world's right here with me.

Joyce I. Johnson lives in the beautiful Skagit Valley of Washington State. She owns a small farm and rents her land to a bulb grower. She is surrounded by beauty in the spring from the tulips and daffodils that inspire much of her poetry. Joyce celebrated her 97th birthday in July of 2015.

8 comments:

  1. Joyce,
    A great poem. Happy very early 98th birthday for this July!
    Your friend,
    David Fox
    P.S. I have been following your work since your days in SMILE magazine. (I know you were not the editor).

    ReplyDelete
  2. No place like home! A refreshing poem to start any day. Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed it a lot. Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful to find contentment in the simple things in life. Nicely written poem Joyce. Good wishes, Chris~

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely contented write, Joyce x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home sweet home, especially when you are blessed with enough to make you happy and satisfied. I enjoyed the smooth flow of your words...lovely and musical. God bless you Joyce!

    ReplyDelete