Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Fledglings--By Angelee Deodhar--India

Fledglings

These words
my fledglings of thought

baby chicks hatched
from my feather lined bosom
fed inspiration from the Muse
till their feathers come

like the mother bird
flying outwards and back
I teach them to fly into
that delft bowl of submissions 

cooing encouragement
teetering at the edge
I teach them to be unafraid
of editorial hawks

most times they find a home
sometimes they come back
like homing pigeons

till I send them out again
to try to fly on their own.

Angelee Deodhar, is an eye surgeon turned haiku poet, translator, and artist from India.  She has translated six books of haiku from English to Hindi. She has no personal website or blog. "Hot on the heels of her 2014 release of a collection of poetic prose containing haiku, Deodhar celebrates having edited Journeys 2015, an Anthology of International Haibun, highlighting authors in 15 different countries." - David McMurray, Editor, Asahi Haikuist Network, Japan

9 comments:

  1. This poem is so well crafted and I love the metaphor of the hen with her chicks so like the Angelee we all know and love who has helped so many chicks to fly.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words,Jo,I am grateful indeed...however,a hen doesn't fly so she teaches her chicks nothing really,I would rather be a sparrow,love and light,angelee

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful analogy of the reason we are all here: to help someone on their journey. One word that describes a life well lived 'thoughtfulness'.
    Haikuist Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much dear Thomas,love and light,angelee

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I have been laughing at my hen and chicks. Obviously, I don't know my birds. It could be a miracle hen...
    you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nicely done ! we all have this somewhere deep in our hearts ! love the metaphor !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Angelee. I enjoyed your poem. It was well-written and artistic. Thank you for sharing it and continued blessings!

    -MJ(www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a masterly poem....Angelee is a blessed soul whose talent and thoughtfulness inspire so many including me...Fledglings is beautiful and the imagery and choice of each word well thought, which reaches out to touch the reader.

    ReplyDelete