Tuesday, April 12, 2016

You Warm My Toes--By Alan McAlpine Douglas--United Kingdom

You Warm My Toes

Although we are so far apart,
me here, you there, and living Dutch,
you warm my toes, caress my heart;

you had me hooked, right from the start -
I lean on you, my cripple’s crutch,
although we are so far apart.

For you, I’m whole; without, mere part;
this grumpy, low-down such-and-such.
You warm my toes, caress my heart.

Long distance chat brought Cupid’s dart
my trembling heart’s now in your clutch
although we are so far apart.

I fought, essayed Houdini’s art;
I tried to struggle (not too much!):
You warm my toes, caress my heart,

and make me oh so lucky-charmed.
Longing to feel, we are in touch,
although we are so far apart;
you warm my toes, caress my heart.

Alan McAlpine Douglas, father to 5 and grandfather to 3, has been writing poetry since 1993. His idiosyncratic voice has produced thousands of poems in this time, and he finds it quite hard to stay serious, even when he means to. He also enjoys writing spoofs, using well-known poems or songs like Clementine or In the Ghetto as his models. 

4 comments:

  1. A captivating and well crafted villanelle! Not easy to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A deft touch, Alan. The lightness of tone within the writing belies the craft of the structure. I like this poem very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun and witty. Very enjoyable. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ(www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete