Friday, April 1, 2016

Lassie--By Elaine George--Canada

Lassie

I stand before you after all these years
Amid the ocean brine with misty tears
On these old banks above the Fundy Bay
With all those words I never got to say

Wild daisies spread themselves across your grave
Where lies the fallen marker that I made
When I was but a child and new to death
In Grief so deep it nearly took my breath

That broken house still sits above the bay
Now weathered by those many stormy days
Those years we walked along that rocky shore
Those years you saw me safely to my door

And now that I am old I do believe
You were an angel sent by God to me  
                 
In Loving Memory

Born in New Brunswick, Elaine George spent the early years of her life living in Lorneville (a small fishing village along the Bay of Funday) still inhabited by many of her family members.  Much of her writing is inspired by the memories of that place and those wonderful people.  She has published two volumes of poetry and is currently writing a novel entitled Out of the Darkness.  Many of her poems and short stories have appeared in magazines in both Canada and the United States. Currently she lives with her husband in Wainfleet, Ontario.

3 comments:

  1. Touching. This one really touched my heart. Thank you for sharing it, Elaine. Continued blessings to you!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Helen Dowd, for the following--

    Elaine George ...I could relate to her, as I have lost much loved pets...Please tell her that I liked her poem, and am sorry for her loss...I wonder if she would like my “Rainbow Bridge” story, and “Do Pets Go to Heaven.” I have put them at the end of this email – after her poem....Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touched by this lovely yet sad poem, Elaine. I can well relate to your own feelings...pets that have passed away through the years...Regards // paul

    ReplyDelete