Friday, April 29, 2016

the day...By--jani johe webster--(In Memory-May 2013)--United States

the day awakens
all lemon-colored
ready for adventure

tiny drops of dew
glimmer in the light
flowers yawn themselves open

it is a gift
this day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Nila Webster, jani johe’s daughter--This poem was one my mother's first poems, written long before I was born.  The imagery and pace add a special sparkle to her message.  As a poet, she was continually tuned into the exquisite beauty of this life.  The last lines, "it is a gift / this day" have become a special credo for me, a lifeline to hope. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this piece, thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful short poem with a great moral statement in the last line.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this piece of your mother's. She was such a beacon of light--and to start each day with--" It is a gift--each day." I love that her words come to me now just when I need to remember that--each and everyday, a gift.

    ReplyDelete