Thursday, April 28, 2016

Growing up Without a Mother--By Robert Hewett Sr.--United States

Growing up Without a Mother

My mother moved away when I was three years old
I don’t recall much about when she was there,
except the fire that destroyed our house. 
My father was a good man, 
He did his best to care for us four boys.
Mother was enamored with a much faster life.
Only later did I realize the debt I owe her.
She was there when I needed her the most.
You see, I was born very premature, weighing
only a pound and a half per the Country Doc.
He said that I would not live through the night.
His advice, “give him a quarter of an aspirin
and let him die in peace.”
She gave me the aspirin and I slept through the night.,
The next morning, she gave me a whole aspirin.
That worked even better, I slept for six weeks.
Mother fed me from a nose dropper.
She made an incubator out of a shoe box.
I lived and come July I will have lived                                                                                          
Eighty-three years on borrowed time.

Robert Hewett Sr. was born in 1933 on a Texas cotton farm. He moved to Oklahoma City at Age 14 and entered the U. S Army from there in 1953. Robert has been writing poetry and short stories for his family and himself since his teen years, but is just now publishing his collection of works. His hobbies include writing poetry and stories; clock and watch collections; gardening and growing flowers and shrubs from cuttings. Most of his poetry tells a story, a gift from his father who was a master story teller. He has received numerous awards for his work in his professional life and for his writing. You can find some of his writings at "roberthewettsr.hubpages.com"

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are welcome Peggy, thanks for rading for me. Robert

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your remarkable story of being alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo for reading and commenting. Robert

      Delete
  3. I was so touched by your beautiful story of your beginning. She loved you and made sure you lived. You had a strong will to live.
    A happy early birthday to you Robert.I grew up without a father, but I believe the early years are very difficult without a mother. Blessings my friend. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Connie thanks for your very intuitive comment. I agree with you that growing up in a one-parent home affects your life and the way you interact after you marry and have children of your own.

    ReplyDelete